The Competence Center Oral Biology is involved in dental research and training. The work is done in an interdisciplinary team with national and international cooperation, integrating academia and industry.
Our laboratory uses fundamental cellular biological methods, preclinical methods and clinical trials for the development of causal therapeutic strategies in regenerative dentistry. We focus on the healing of dental implants and biomaterials with a special emphasis on dental implantology and periodontology. We deal with the elucidation of molecular and cellular mechanisms of oral wound healing in healthy and ill patients. It is our aim to study the clinical relevance of natural and synthetic molecules, as well as biological fluids in dentistry.
Our methods include fundamental in vitro cell culture techniques with a focus on oral and bone cells such as periodontal fibroblasts, osteoblasts and osteoclasts. Based on a broad range of methods for the determination of proliferation, migration, differentiation, signalling and gene expression, we test the reaction of cells to various biomaterials, bone transplants, saliva and bioactive molecules of natural origin. Our portfolio includes various preclinical models with a focus on bone regeneration. In addition, we examine the skull anatomy of various mice models with the aid of CT and geometric morphometry.
Reinhard Gruber received his Dr. nat. techn. degree from the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences in Vienna. After his postgraduate work in the field of rheumatology, he joined the Department of Oral Surgery of the Medical University of Vienna in 1999. He was Deputy Director of the Dentistry curriculum and coordinator of the doctoral programme “Bone and Joint Regeneration”. He was a visiting researcher at the Bone Tissue Engineering Center at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and at the University of Michigan Dental School.
From 2012 to 2015, Reinhard Gruber worked as Head of the Laboratory for Oral Cell Biology at the Dentistry Clinics of the University of Berne, of which he is still an associate professor. In October 2014, he was named Professor of Oral Biology at the Medical University of Vienna. He is an associate editor of the journals IJOMI and BMC Oral Health and sits on four editorial boards including JDR, COIR and Tissue Engineering. He is on the board of the Osteology Foundation and the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Osteologie.
- Luiza De Oliviera Matos, Forschungsgast (Brasilien)
- Victoria Hrytsenko, Forschungsgast (Österreich)
- Gabriel Mulinari dos Santos, Forschungsgast (Brasilien)
- Heinz-Dieter Müller, Forschungsgast (Österreich)
- Alexandra Stähli, Forschungsgast (Schweiz)
- Ceeneena Ubaidha Maheen, Forschungsgast (Indien)
- Svegi Arabulan, Forschungsgast (Turkey)
- Melika Habashizadeh, Forschungsgast (Netherlands)
- Joao Mendes, Forschungsgast (Portugal)
- Bernadette Monforte, Forschungsgast (Italy)
- Yuxin Ni, Forschungsgast (China)
- Solmaz Pourgonabadi, Forschungsgast (Iran)
- Omer Altermimy, graduate student
- Claudia Breitenberger, graduate student
- Babak Hatami Kia, graduate student
- Michael Nemec, graduate student
- Abbas Sadri Alaei, graduate student
- Mehrdad Tehranchi, graduate student
- Stefanie Weber, graduate student
- Gruber R, Stadlinger B, Terheyden H. Cell-to-cell communication in guided bone regeneration: molecular and cellular mechanisms. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2016 Aug 23.
- Peng J, Nemec M, Brolese E, Bosshardt DD, Schaller B, Buser D, Gruber R. Bone-conditioned medium inhibits osteogenic and adipogenic differentiation of mesenchymal cells in vitro. Clin Implant Dent Relat Res. 2015 Oct;17(5):938-49.
- Caballé-Serrano J, Cvikl B, Bosshardt DD, Buser D, Lussi A, Gruber R. Saliva suppresses osteoclastogenesis in murine bone marrow cultures. J Dent Res. 2015 Jan;94(1):192-200.
- Stähli A, Bosshardt D, Sculean A, Gruber R. Emdogain-regulated gene expression in palatal fibroblasts requires TGF-βRI kinase signaling. PLoS One. 2014 Sep 8;9(9):e105672.
- Cvikl B, Lussi A, Moritz A, Sculean A, Gruber R. Sterile-filtered saliva is a strong inducer of IL-6 and IL-8 in oral fibroblasts. Clin Oral Investig. 2015 Mar;19(2):385-99.
- Vasak C, Busenlechner D, Schwarze UY, Leitner HF, Munoz Guzon F, Hefti T, Schlottig F, Gruber R. Early bone apposition to hydrophilic and hydrophobic titanium implant surfaces: a histologic and histomorphometric study in minipigs. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2014 Dec;25(12):1378-85.
- Kuchler U, Schwarze UY, Dobsak T, Heimel P, Bosshardt DD, Kneissel M, Gruber R. Dental and periodontal phenotype in sclerostin knockout mice. Int J Oral Sci. 2014 Jun;6(2):70-6.
- Dvorak G, Arnhart C, Heuberer S, Huber CD, Watzek G, Gruber R. Peri-implantitis and late implant failures in postmenopausal women: a cross-sectional study. J Clin Periodontol. 2011 Oct;38(10):950-5.
- Kuchler U, Luvizuto ER, Tangl S, Watzek G, Gruber R. Short-term teriparatide delivery and osseointegration: a clinical feasibility study. J Dent Res. 2011 Aug;90(8):1001-6.
- Agis H, Blei J, Watzek G, Gruber R. Is zoledronate toxic to human periodontal fibroblasts? J Dent Res. 2010 Jan;89(1):40-5.