The Doctoral Programme in Applied Medical Science at the Medical University of Vienna should enable graduates to perform independent research in medical and medical-affiliated professions and to prepare them for a career in a variety of academic, medical, industrial and public domains.
Through the symbiosis of research and practice, the university’s performance in applied science is to be cultivated and increased. In addition, it aims at providing students with critical, analytical and reasoning skills. An interdisciplinary approach to the respective topic of the dissertation will be especially emphasised.
In contrast to a PhD programme oriented towards fundamental research, the Doctoral Programme in Applied Medical Science is geared towards putting knowledge into practice. It is aimed at junior researchers and practitioners who want to establish a relation between research and biomedical and clinical practice, and use science in their work as highly qualified practitioners.
More than 21% of the overall duration consists of guided instruction, which is an integral key element of the programme and imparts practice-oriented skills in the relevant medical field. The research part is equivalent to a PhD and leads to an original dissertation with corresponding publications in renowned journals.
- degree in medicine or dentistry or
- Master’s degree in a scientific or technical field or a field relevant to the topic or
- degree in “Medical Informatics” or
- equivalent degree at an internationally recognised Austrian or foreign post-secondary academic institution
- excellent English skills, oral and written
- approval by one of the supervisors listed in one of the thematic programmes
- a doctoral thesis project contributed by the supervisor